ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject Re: [RFE] Incremental mode for Ant
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:52:52 GMT
At 03:09  25/7/00 -0700, you wrote:
>How does incremental help out? -- in the M-x compile case that is..

ouchies that must be painful compared to jde's way ..

>If you are running it from a shell window, then I can see how it would help.

Incremental mode is good because it doesn't have the loading of JVM
everytime. It becomes a larger problem when you load 6 jars as well.
Incremental mode in any way is great for rapidly fixing errors especially
when you are in a editing environment which lacks all the proper code
completion/intellisens/syntax checking that some other tools do (And yes I
know emacs has some of those features and they partially work - no where
close to comparable to some of the integrated IDE's thou). I have no
problem with the memorty overhead of a constantly in memory JVM but the
startup time can be painful.

Cheers,

Pete