ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject Re: [RFE] Default Help target on error ?
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:52:45 GMT
At 03:07  25/7/00 -0700, you wrote:
>on 7/24/00 5:27 PM, Peter Donald at donaldp@mad.scientist.com wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have another request for enhancement :P. Would it be possible to specifiy
>> the help target in project. If the user tries to build a target that
>> doesn't exist they can then be told to run "ant <insertname of help
>> target>" to get help or else it could be automatically run.
>
>ant -help works for ant related help.

not what is wanted by these guys. They don't want to read the build file
(that come close to
900 lines) to figure out what targets are available and which ones are
useful. Usually a project has a target named help - or something similar.
However "help" is a reserved target and if you ask for help target ant
ignores you and fires it's own internal help. I want to provide help to
developers via some standard way and the most logical is ant help but this
will give help about ant rather than execute the help task. Damn
infuriating when you have to explain to a bunch of people who don't want to
read a build file that the most obvious thing they could do (namely "ant
help") is excluded due to a design "feature" in ant.

Hence I would like to add an attribute to project element much like the
default attribute to specify help.

>If a <help> or <about> section is being proposed to be added to the
><project> which would give info about this particular project, I'm not
>opposed to that.

That would probably be a better idea but I am just using a target named
xhelp at the moment that is full of echos much like all the apache projects.

Cheers,

Pete