ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs Java.java
Date Wed, 19 Jul 2000 22:37:53 GMT
At 02:39  19/7/00 +0200, you wrote:

> c>   This class loader allows a Java task to be run with a separate
> c> classpath without requiring a new java instance to be created.
>
>Are you going to modify the java task to use that? I'd make it an
>option.

It already has been modified :P. Just not the full swing yet :P

The only problem that I can see is that you are automatically assuming that
including system classes when your new class isn't loaded through
classloader. So classpath is really acting as a prepending to non-boot
classpath. It would be better somehow to restrict this so it doesn't break
some apps. The only way I can see to do this is have an Ant classpath (and
hence own classloader) aswell as seperate classloader for specified tasks.
This will make it easy also when optional tasks are included in jar.

In effect it would mean that base ant jar that essentially only had a few
classes. It would then load a core jar with core tasks and then a whole
bunch of optional jars for auxilliary tasks. Thoughts ?

Cheers,

Pete