ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject RE: cvs task - BufferedReader code in Exec.java
Date Sat, 15 Jul 2000 00:17:00 GMT
At 08:28  14/7/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Java doesn't do any linking at all either; it simply loads classes in at
>runtime and then executes the desired methods, right? So why do we need to
>reflect all the calls?

Well technically all code that uses name of method or class is considered
to be statically linked even if it is done dynamically at runtime. So it is
not possible to use either GPL or LGPL unmodified unless you use reflection
to grab method/class names (and even then you can only use it if LGPL).
This is why you will find that a large properotion of the gnu.* classes are
under a modified LGPL license.

The solution for jCVS would be to package up a task with it (and make task
GPL) and offer this package somewhere on web. I don't know about politics
of Apache.Org but it could even be offered on ant page as long as it was a
seperate package.

Cheers,

Pete