ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject Re: Question re: jaxp.jar and parser.jar
Date Sat, 08 Jul 2000 23:29:31 GMT
At 06:24  8/7/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but the installation instructions
>for jaxp1.0.1 state to copy the jaxp.jar and parser.jar to the jre/lib/ext
>directory. Then there is no need include jaxp.jar and parser.jar in
>the classpath because java will find them.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!! Runaway ! Runaway !

All my experiences using the extension thing as a developer have ended in
pain and suffering. Often I leave things in there which cause bugs down the
road or I install a security manager and they get uneccesarily restricted
etc. So unless it is for an end user I would strongly strongly suggest not
to use extension mechanism if at all possible.

>Is that only for specific situations? I've done that, and still find
>that I have to explictly have jaxp.jar and parser.jar in my classpath
>in order for ant to work correctly...

Not sure is it only with compiling that things break or is it general
running ? Some compilers (ie jikes) need to have it explicitly set
regardless. Other than that I am not sure :<

Cheers,

Pete