ant-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Dimock <t...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Proposition
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2000 13:54:52 GMT
At 03:46 PM 07/06/2000 -0400, Russell Gold wrote:
>At 10:34 AM 7/6/00 -0700, "Vitaly Stulsky" <vitaly_stulsky@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>it will be good to have some kind of source code formater (e.g. JIndent or
>>something like that).
>
>Pardon me while I run screaming: AAAGH!
>
>I feel strongly that this is a Bad Idea.  If you are having a problem with
>standards, the way to fix it is through agreement on standards. Get
>together and agree to follow a set of standards rather than having a tool
>convert code. You don't want to clutter cvs with diffs caused as a result
>of the battle of the braces, and you will find it impossible to automate
>every part of your standards - naming conventions, for example. This means
>that you are going to have to find a human-based solution anyway. Talk to
>each other! Agree that for the good of the team, you will each give in a
>bit and adopt a common way of doing things.

We did, and we agreed on a set of formatting standards.  If ALL code is run
through the formatter before checkin, it does not clutter up the CVS
repository with diffs, as the only changes to the formatting will be in
newly added or modified code.  I agree that if different people were using
different config files for Jindent that it would be a disaster, but if an
organizational standard is in use, a tool such as Jindent can be very useful.
       Tom Dimock  ----  Cornell University  ----  tad1@cornell.edu
"There go my people.  I must follow them, for I am their leader."  M. Gandhi