ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@m64.com>
Subject RE: What is the purpose of build.sh?
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2000 12:00:36 GMT
Stefan,

I have let Sam know that I broke his builds :-(. It was to be expected and I
think Sam would know that since he summarised the situation prior to my
actually making the changes.

build.sh is now JUST for building ant. It cannot be used to build other ant
based projects. The script does assume that you are running it in the same
directory. It is, however, still useful to have build.sh/build.bat for a
number of reasons.

I think it is a semi standard that jakarta projects include a
build.sh/build.bat to allow you to build the project right out of CVS. The
automatic bootstrap makes this simpler for the first-time ant builder.

The ability to install ant into $ANT_HOME is also useful. Normally it is
somewhat dangerous to overwrite the scripts and jars from which you are
running. build fullinstall allows you to install into the ANT_HOME without
having to run the ant that lives there.

At Sam's suggestion I made build.sh/build.bat simple drivers for
ant/ant.bat. This reduces the duplication of code that had been the case
prior to these changes.

I am hoping Sam changes his build scripts to use ant rather than build.sh
i.e. change /home/rubys/jakarta-ant/build.sh to
/home/rubys/jakarta-ant/bin/ant
presuming ANT_HOME is set appropriately or unset altogether.

What do you think?
Conor