ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@m64.com>
Subject RE: <src> element in <javac> task
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2000 13:58:47 GMT
Stefan,

I am a little unsure about this.

> I'd like to make the nested src element a FileSet instead of a Path
> (and add a <srcref> element to reference filesets used anywhere else).
>
> This would change some things
>
> (1) <src> would take different attributes and had no idea what
> "a/b:c/d" would mean.

sourcepaths may come from the external environment (although probably
unlikely).

> (2) Each <src> would have its own set of include/exclude patterns -
> which might be a good thing or not. And we could reuse patterns
> previously defined via fileset's <patternsetref> element.

This tends to move from compiling classes in the package space to compiling
file in the filesystem. I wonder how, given a fileset, you can know where
the package root is? (I'm not yet that familiar with filesets, though)

> (3) Classes invoking Javac.setSrc() directly would break.
>
> (1) has the potential to break build files, (3) to break custom
> tasks. But I think FileSet is the more natural choice than Path.

I'm not sure about. I guess it depends on whether you think in the java
namespace or the filesystem namespace. Perhaps we need separate <src> and
<sourcepath> elements. These are really separate concepts in javac.
Currently ant merges them and separating them might be good.

Conor