allura-users mailing list archives

From Dave Brondsema <d...@brondsema.net>
Subject Re: Installation complete; where next?
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 02:37:54 GMT
Hey, Cliff.  Welcome :)

On 09/17/2012 07:11 AM, Cliff Evans wrote:
> I’m probably missing something here, but after managing to get Allura
> installed in a VM I find myself completely cast adrift as to where to go
> next.  I can see and play with the example projects which is fine, but
> the UI I’m presented with isn’t ‘functional’ in any way that might be
> useful to begin to setup a new forge.  Where do I go next?

Asking questions here is a good start.  Hopefully that doesn't sound
like a cop-out.  You're right, the app isn't designed to help someone
starting a new forge, nor are there docs to guide you through this very
well.  Allura has been deployed in only a few places, so not much
attention has been given to that yet.  You may have to dig in and get
your hands dirty in the code to learn some, but hopefully you can also
get some answers here or in the #allura channel in IRC.

> How do I change the UI to give access to such things as the creating a
> new project without having to type the /p/add_project URL in manually?

The homepage is particularly rough.  We at SourceForge have a separate
system that handles our homepage.  Anyway, if you want to modify that
page, take a look at Allura/allura/controllers/root.py and the template
it uses, Allura/allura/templates/project_list.html  You could add a
"create project" link there.

There is also such a link on each neighborhood admin page (e.g. /p/admin
and /adobe/admin which are the two in the default dataset)

> Where can I find documentation about the structure of the code base?
> i.e. where are the templates for the UI/themes etc.?

There are some docs in the docs folder, and also published to
http://allura.sourceforge.net/  For themes, there is a guide at
http://sourceforge.net/p/allura/wiki/Themes%20in%20Allura/

> Is there a guide to next steps to make it useful?
>

> Sorry if I have missed something in my reading but I’ve searched all of
> the pages of both the SF project, the project site, and the apache
> incubator along with the readme type files in the code base and I’m no
> nearer to knowing where to start.
>

> I’m guessing that the project isn’t yet at the point where someone can
> download it and start to customise it without digging into the source
> code; some pointers about where to start on that would be welcome too.
> (Time to start learning Python!)

Yeah, you haven't missed anything I don't think.  Like I said above,
that's an area in this project that is lacking.  I think you'll have to
dig through the source some and ask questions too.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal